History of the school

We  extended the school hall, building a new library, prayer room and creating more teaching space. These works involved adding to the original building of 1896. – built over 100 years ago.

For this reason we invited our pupils to imagine the world in 100 years from now - providing a written description for our time capsule.

Their writing was then buried beneath the floor in the new build. (we did read and photocopy it first).

 

The  picture shows the time capsule being buried by two of our senior members of  staff …
Mr Roger Mason, Premises Officer and Mr D Shiels,head teacher.

 

A History of St. Winefride's Catholic Primary School

St. Winefride's School was founded by the Rosminian Fathers of the Institute of Charity in l846 in the two houses now jointly known as The Cottage, which stand opposite the Public Library in the Hall Croft, Shepshed.

St Winefride's Church 1846

The Church Orchestra 1895

Continuing as a private school, St. Winefride's moved in 1861 to a new site now occupied by No. 27, Church Street, Shepshed. The school remained there until the transfer to the present site in l896. As a publicly   maintained aided school, St. Winefride's has grown and developed to match the provisions of the Education Acts of this century and the still continuing growth of the school population.

From 1904 to 1959 it was an all age school catering for pupils aged 3 to 15 years. Since 1959 it has been a Primary School catering for Catholic pupils from an extended area in North West Leicestershire and for a limited number of baptised children of other denominations, where accommodation permits and admission policy allows. The school now admits pupils the term after their fourth birthday.

150th Anniversary February 1996
Mr Albert Morrell oldest living pupil. Born 26-06-10

 

150th Anniversary Celebration February   1996

 

Canon McNicholas

The first St Winefride's School

Rev Fr Luigi Gentili - founder of St Winefride's parish & school

Photo Memories